If you know me well, then you know my biggest pet peeve is people talking on their cell phones when it's clearly out of place; it's just one of the rudest things I can think of, and it pisses me off when someone is constantly answering their phone, or checking their blackberry while also try to carry on a conversation with me, or waiting in a line to buy a cup of coffee with, say, 5 other people. And it's not just the loud talkers for me either.
I guess I consider it to be an invasion of my personal space, albeit mental space, but still, it's unwanted and rude.
Anyhow, imagined how pleased I was to see this story on the cnn.com tech page: Where are your high-tech manners?
If you are testing out all the rings on your phone in a public place, for all to hear, you might be an asshole. At least, you know that's what I'm thinking.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
This is not to say that I find it rude in all instances. I know a couple people who are often on their blackberry, but are somehow able to maintain a sense of being in the present and not discarding the tangible world for a virtual one. Unfortunately, those people are a select few.
Reading this back, over a week later, my awareness of the fallacy in stating that it always pisses me off is overwhelming.
xoxo
While we still disagree about some facets of this topic, I'd like you to know that your influence has improved my high-tech manners significantly.
The legendary Emily Post said, “Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.”
I know I am very harsh on this issue, but it does take top-billing on my list of pet peeves.
Although the original issues of technology and rudeness discussed in this posting still hold true for me, I also know that it bears noting that I ultimately hate the telephone in all of its manifestations. I hate hearing it ring. I hate talking on it.
On a completely different note: someone has been knocking on my door at night all week, and I have no idea who it is, or why. I have chosen to ignore it, and hope they will eventually learn to leave a note. I stare at them via the peephole; I suspect religion or capitalism to be the culprits, as very few bill collectors actually come knocking.
Has this continued?
This wasn't all about you my dear. But you have improved immensely. Thank you!
Now, how to get everyone else to get a clue?!?!
Post a Comment