If you know me, then it's likely that you know I'm a bit Britney obsessed---not in a 'ooooh, that music is so hot!' kind of way, and not in a 'let's watch the train wreck' way. My fascination is more of the academic case study variety.
So, you know I watched it: the big Britney comeback on the MTV Video Music Awards this past Sunday. I've been less interested in all things Brit this past year because I feel dismayed by her unfortunate dance with fortune. I wasn't counting down to her comeback; I didn't even watch it live, or for that matter, know about it at all until the day of! However, in homage to past antics of note on the VMAs in general, I set my DVR to capture the entire spectacle.
As I watched Britney open the VMAs, I had two thoughts. The first was that her performance was not so great; she looked a bit like a deer in headlights from time to time. My second thought was, 'Damn, I am so glad she is embracing her womanly figure! This makes me proud of my own curves!'
I've been trying to come to terms with the extra 10 pounds I'm carrying now that I'm no longer a New York City native and watching Brit perform reinforced the notion that real women have curves. I came into work this morning and was greeted with this CNN headline: Britney was bad, yes. But 'fat'?
Fat? Apparently, everyone has something to say about her weight. Maybe her choice of attire failed to compliment her frame in the way most are accustomed to, but that girl is not fat by any stretch of the imagination! And if she is fat, what does that make me? I'm thinner than the majority of the population! (I even read one blogger referring to her as a size 10. Is that what a size 10 looks like? I'm definitely not a size 10, and pondering the previous question makes me wonder if my head is so fucked from body dysmorphia that I'll never be able to adequately judge my own appearance.)
I've embedded a clip of her performance, from YouTube, below so that you can judge for yourself.
Britney, if you should ever happen upon this, I want to say thank you for showing the world a more realistic vision of womanhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Very well put.
What makes the criticisms of her weight even sadder is that if she'd not had a tummy tuck after her last baby her figure would be even more unacceptable to most people.
I wish we could have seen her natural figure, but I guess that would be too much to ask!
Excellent point KSB!
I intended to come back to this yesterday, and add a link to the blog posting I referenced in my "size 10" discussion. Of course, I forgot and can't find it this morning.
I did easily find the AP story, and it references the same comment.
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2007/09/10/4485273-ap.html
Post a Comment