Friday, November 9, 2007

Master Cleanse

I've been fairly quiet this week. I'm on day 3 of the master cleanse, aka the lemonade diet. And by diet, I mean "a particular selection of food, esp. as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease".

It has been tough, but also very empowering. I'm full of energy today, and I haven't eaten a solid food since Tuesday's lunch of red beans, sweet potato, and rice. Since Wednesday I've only consumed the special lemonade during the day, a laxative tea in the evening, and a salt water flush (SWF) upon awakening each morning.

Yesterday was by far the worst day, I was tired, and just generally out of sorts. I was also craving my favorite "bad" foods, for me that's things high in cheese, butter, and/or bread: pizza, enchiladas, garlic bread, and pasta.

Today, I have much more energy; I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to go! I did my SWF and I really was going in under half an hour! I don't have strong cravings towards food in general. Of course, I would still love to eat some, but my longings today are more towards fresh fruit and veggies.

I know I will not be doing the full ten days recommended by Burroughs, as I'm leaving town for a speaking engagement next week, and the thought of dealing with all things Master Cleanse related while I'm away is more than I'm ready to take on. I have not made a definitive decision about when I will break my fast and start on a diet of diluted orange juice for at least a day. I know I will be unprepared to handle anything other than soups and fresh produce until sometime next week. But one thing I am fairly confident about is that I won't be indulging in pizza anytime soon!

PS. If you have been interested in doing the Master Cleanse for the purposes of weight loss, then it is not your best bet. The weight lost during the cleanse is water weight that you will surely regain once you resume normal eating. Believe it or not, a program at the gym is likely to be much easier!

No comments: